Monday, November 29, 2010

Something nice to know about 3 year olds.

All year long Olivia has been asking me to fly her kite with her. And all year long (with exception of our trip to the beach) I've said 'it's too hot' or 'there's no wind' or 'we don't have time right now'. In regards to the time excuse here's what I had in my mind for kite flying. Get the girls and myself ready, pack snacks and water for a 2 hour trip and get out the door (a monumental task when you have a babe that still naps 3 times a day), drive or walk to a park and keep Violet protected from energetic dogs/kids while I help Liv fly a kite.

She asked again a few Saturdays ago. And since we were sitting on our front porch and her kite was handy and the wind was gusty AND Violet was taking a long nap I figured sure! Let's give it a go.

So Liv got her kite, put her shoes on and we walked down the porch steps to the front yard. We tossed the kite into the air (Daddy showed up about this time), Liv ran around giggling, I took photos and after 10 to 15 minutes of pure 3 year old joy at watching a kite fly and fall to the ground repeatedly she was satisfied and we all went back to the porch.

Well here's the thing to know about 3 year olds. Sometimes they are happy with so little that it does you a lot more good (think good karma) to say 'sure, why not?' than to keep telling them 'no'. If I had known how little it would take to make Liv happy I would have flown a kite with her for 10 minutes many months ago.

Kite 2

Kite flying with Dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought I would comment and say neat theme, did you make it for yourself? It’s really awesome!